VII.—The Excavations on the Temple of Nadû at Nineveh
- 1 January 1929
- journal article
- research article
- Published by Cambridge University Press (CUP) in Archaeologia
- Vol. 79, 103-148
- https://doi.org/10.1017/s0261340900008808
Abstract
The present article gives the account of the excavation of the Temple of Nabû in Kouyunjik, the larger mound of Nineveh, under British Museum auspices. A brief description has already been given in our A Century of Exploration at Nineveh (Luzac, 1929, referred to herein as CEN), and so we shall avoid repetition so far as is consistent with due description. Besides the excavation of this temple, our digging revealed the first chambers of a palace of Ashurnasirpal at 23 to 26 depth, and in digging out part of a house built by Sennacherib for his son Ashursumusabsi (?) (here abbreviated to SH) we found a practically perfect prism of Esarhaddon, and about fourscore more pieces of prisms of Sennacherib, Esarhaddon, and Ashurbanipal (see CEN 83), as well as numerous pots and lamps.Keywords
This publication has 1 reference indexed in Scilit:
- Punic Urns from the Precinct of Tanit at CarthageAmerican Journal of Archaeology, 1927